|This geographical WikiProject is believed to be inactive. |
Consider looking for related projects for help or ask at the Teahouse.
If you are not currently a project participant and wish to help you may still participate in the project or its parent project WikiProject Poland. This status should be changed if collaborative activity resumes.
WikiProject Geography of Poland
This WikiProject is an attempt to formulate a common template for the Polish administrative districts, as well as obtaining consensus for how the various types of districts should be referred to on the English Wikipedia. The WikiProject suggests a structure for the articles to give them a common look and feel. For other Poland-related discussions please go to Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Poland.
None so far, but could one day include Wikipedia:WikiProject Polish Counties
Similar WikiProjects are:
Województwo / Voivodeship
Name to use: Voivodeship
An extensive debate about this issue (see the discussion page) determined that consensus is to use the term "Voivodeship" to describe these administrative divisions.
Powiat / County
Name to use: County
The Polish-language term powiat was discussed, and the community consensus was that the English term "county" should be used in this case.
City / Town
No clear division; use city for larger ones, town for smaller. (Optional rule of thumb: use city if it's a miasto na prawach powiatu, otherwise town.)
Gmina / Commune / Municipality
Name to use: Gmina
- See: Wikipedia:WikiProject Cities and Wikipedia:Naming conventions (settlements)#Poland for more details.
- If there is a choice between an English or Latinized name, or a Polish name, use the English-translation from the Polish Foreign Ministry or the EU for article titles
- Between the format "Voivodeship of Lower Silesia" or "Lower Silesian Voivodeship", use the latter form: <name> <division>.
- Lower Silesian Voivodeship (not Province of Dolny Śląsk)
- Greater Poland (not Wielkopolska)
The article should start with a good introduction, giving the name of the administrative division, its location in Poland, bordering provinces, important landmarks and such. Also give a few geographical and economical facts about the county.
Next, there is a table with quick facts about the area. A template is currently being discussed at the Polish wiki and will be posted here as soon as the work is finished.
After that there should be a Politics part with details on Sejmik Wojewódzki, Voivod and such.
Finally, the last part should be a brief history of both the current area and any predecessors, as appropriate.
When creating or updating an article about one of the Polish administrative units, it is recommended to use one of the following templates.
Cities and towns
- See Template talk:Infobox Poland for details, examples and instructions.
Powiat / County
- See Template talk:Infobox Powiat for details, examples and instructions.
To be decided
Things to be decided before we prepare a template:
Colours of the contour map- Done!
- Info included in the table - Template talk:Infobox Poland
- Powiat pages naming convention (see: Discussion)